Russia is waging war on Ukraine. It’s a fact.
Ukraine does not have the possibility of waging a classic war. But this brave country does not surrender. Authorities encourage clearly people to join the resistance by any means.
Their Russian enemies shamefully misrepresent words and concepts (like « liberation » for savage invasion). They will therefore soon speak of « terrorism » to qualify this necessary guerrilla warfare that aims liberation.
These invading armies, which would have already committed “the worst”. We know what to expect since we know of Vladimir Putin’s other wars: Ukraine/Donbas, Nagorno-Karabakh, Georgia, Chechnya… Libya, Syria…
For example the Grozny massacres:
The Chechen capital suffered indiscriminate shelling with thousands of civilian casualties. NGOs reveal numerous arbitrary arrests, torture and hasty executions. State terrorism in a way.
- February 2000: “Médecins du monde…. publishes a damning report for Russian troops on the human rights situation in the Autonomous Republic”.— Universalis
- February 2000: “Andrei Babitsky … confirms the reality of the torture practiced in the Chernokozovo “filtration camp” where he was detained after his arrest ». — Universalis
It is inevitable that these brutal forces attacking Ukraine will seek information and countermeasures by any means, including torture and murder. Henchmen of Wagner and pro-Russian rude Chechen groups would be ready for this.
Russian troops in 2022 have already committed looting in Ukraine. A long-term occupation will certainly lead to rapes and other abuses.
It is worth remembering that Putin was an important KGB officer (director of the FSB = ex KGB), whose criminal methods we know.
We also know his revisionism. What to expect from someone who disputes Stalin’s misdeeds including the Ukrainian Holodomor (organized famine with millions of deaths) – This historical fact is recognized by the European Union as a « crime against the Ukrainian people and against humanity » on the part of the USSR.
Murdered, poisoned, imprisoned, exiled… it is not good to be an opponent in Putin’s Russia. They are even hunted across borders.
Let’s face it, we are off to a « dirty » war, with its share of war crimes and above all crimes against humanity.
“Murder, ill-treatment or deportation for forced labor or for any other purpose, of civilian populations in occupied territories, assassination or ill-treatment of prisoners of war or persons at sea, execution of hostages, looting of public or private property , wanton destruction of cities and towns, or devastation not justified by military necessity”
Crime against humanity
Article 7 of the ICC Statute 23 defines eleven acts constituting crimes against humanity, when committed “as part of a widespread or systematic attack directed against any civilian population, and with knowledge of the attack” :
- deportation or forced transfer of population;
- imprisonment or other form of severe deprivation of physical liberty in violation of fundamental provisions of international law;
- the torture ;
- rape, sexual slavery, forced prostitution, forced pregnancy, forced sterilization or any other form of sexual violence of comparable gravity;
- the persecution of any identifiable group or collectivity on political, racial, national, ethnic, cultural, religious or gender grounds, or on other grounds universally recognized as impermissible under international law, in connection with any act referred to in this paragraph or any crime within the jurisdiction of the Court;
- the enforced disappearance of people;
- the crime of apartheid;
- other inhumane acts of a similar character intentionally causing great suffering or serious injury to body or to mental or physical health.
Procedures would already be studied, while we are far from the maximum abjection. “The International Criminal Court announced on February 28 the opening of an investigation into possible war crimes and crimes against humanity committed in Ukraine”
I don’t know if the french President Macron sees this when he says « the worst is yet to come ».
But anyway, war crimes and crimes against humanity are the worst. It is a first truth. Let’s go to the end of the demonstration.